HIGH PROFILE RIMS (> 45 mm)
Field of application:
• Ideal for flat to slightly hilly courses
• Ideal for time trials and triathlons
• Modern, aerodynamically optimized rim profiles can create what is known as the sailing effect in certain side wind conditions. The sailing effect means that less energy is required for forward propulsion.
• Aerodynamic advantage: The higher profile shape makes it possible to optimize the interaction in such a way that stalling occurs later in the event of lateral incident flow. This in turn makes it possible to make greater use of the aerodynamic advantage.
• Greater weight due to additional rim material.
• Reduced acceleration due to greater rim weight: more energy must be expended.
• Susceptible to wind (especially strong or gusting side winds) due to the large contact surface.